While researching for a faster 8TB external hard-drive I thought I would check the speed of the drives I’m using. Below is a series of disk speed testing results done with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.
The drives tested
- LaCie Porsche Design P9233 3TB USB-3. I bought this one almost 5 years ago and it’s still working great.
- Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB USB-3. Have got this one for 11 months.
- WD Passport SSD 1TB USB-C.
- The 512GB SSD in my MacBook Pro Late 2016.
The external drives were connected to my MacBook Pro Late 2016 which has the following configuration
- Intel Core i5 3.1 GHz
- 16GB RAM
- 512GB SSD
- MacOS Mojave 10.14
- Blackmagic Disk Speed Test version 3.2
Below are the speed results according to Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
I was a little surprised by the results of the WD Passport SSD. I anticipated higher speeds. I might run further tests to see if it can get better speeds.
On the other hand the OEM SSD drive achieved some impressive speeds.
Please share in the comment section if you get different results with these drives.
- Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test app can be downloaded here.